Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reflections from South Africa.

Sanibonani members of my life I love!

With limited internet access for the majority of the trip, my two weeks in Africa went rather undocumented. But I have to ask myself was this really a bad thing... as I find myself now having to think back and reflect on just where my mind was for the majority of the trip, and it makes me think...

My two weeks in South Africa, although rather short, were eye-opening, heart-lifting, and nothing short of amazing! After spending five weeks in Kenya, I wasn't sure how this trip would suffice, but it more than exceeded any expectations.

Two words: Beautiful People. It's crazy to think that you can go on a trip halfway across the world with 20 strangers, and in less than two weeks have such a bond that they feel like family. I learned so much about myself and the other members of my group through our own interactions and educational and at times embarrassing collisions with a culture much different than our own. Together we learned and grew, and experienced an opportunity that truly can be life changing. No matter how many volunteer trips I go on,  no matter the location or the culture, each one is different and opens my eyes and my heart in a whole new way. I can honestly say, a piece of my heart lives in South Africa, as well as Canada, Australia , and all across the U.S.A.

The first week of our trip was spent at the Creche in the Dhukudhuku forest near St. Lucia with some of the most amazing children in the world!  There were around 80 to 90 toddlers on most days, including 16 AIDS orphans, and they all stole my heart! Working with children is something that never gets old for me, as no two children are exactly the same. However they all share an enthusiastic curiosity, undying resilience, and a captivating smile and laughter, that when exposed to you can't help but want to give them the world. Just being around them I feel like I'm around the most intelligent group in the human race, they know it all and they don't even know it. And that's the way it should be.










The first week also consisted of many cultural emersion activities, such as Zulu language and dance lessons, trips to the beach, hikes on the game reserve, hippo and croc tours, night drives, bonfires, and nights out on the town! All of these activities were uniquely enlightening, and I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing them with my wonderful group members!
Hippo/Croc Tour.
Bonfires!
PASSION FRUIT!!

For our final week, we found ourselves at Thanda and Bonamanzi game reserves, where we literally came face to face with wild life. Through both game drives and hikes through the forests and mountains, we tracked wild dogs and the endangered black rhino, removed poaching snares, and adrenaline kickingly came face to face with elephants, lions, and other deadly members of the big five.  As much as we seen Zebra and Giraffe, I can still say my heart jumps with each new one I see, as their exotic and graceful beauty is something that will never get old.
Cold Game Drives.
Looking for Lions!
Zebra (accurately pronounced "Zeh-bruh")

Giraffes by the sunset :)
Elephants (yes that's real!)
Spotting the Ellies!
Like out of a movie!
Camouflaging!
On the back of the game truck!
Tracking the Wild dogs!

Although many may think my purpose of this trip was to go here and change lives, whether it  be the children or members of the culture, in truth I must admit the life that was changed is mine...and it will continue to be that way. All of the beautiful people I met on this trip will stay with me forever, and I only hope to run into them further down the road as we continue our travels.


Me, Laura, and Scott sat at the watering whole all day! When finally along came this guy... he was really digging the music! :