Saturday, September 8, 2012

No Excuses.

Wow. So I've actually been in Cape Town for almost two months...and this is my first post. Seeing as I'm much more technologically connected then I ever was in Tanzania, I truly have no explanation.

But I sure do have a lot to say!

I've fallen madly in love with Cape Town, with South Africa. My last time here, I spent my time strictly in KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape, and I have discovered a whole new world here on the west side! As stands true with the continent of Africa and the U.S. as a country, South Africa is so diverse and has so much to offer! I seriously discover something new everyday.

As this is a study abroad experience, I guess I should start by speaking of my courses and academic life.   I have a beautiful range of classes! First and foremost, I'm taking African Dance! As you would guess, I adore it! It's not merely practical (although I must say that is the aspect I enjoy most), but it is also theoretical, and our readings and discussions have truly opened my mind to the history of dance and its vital role and many functions in both South Africa and Africa as a whole.

My two other classes are Gender and Development in Africa and Community and Youth Development.   My professor for Gender and Development is quite the character! She's from Zambia and is super out there and just entertaining to listen to. My community and youth development course is by far my favorite, I love our daily discussions that revolve around issues of youth both in South Africa and around the world.

I am so grateful to have this opportunity to study at UCT, and I truly feel like I'm learning so much. In both of these classes, I have a wide range of local African students, as well as students from around the world. And hearing the wide range of views and opinions is always so eye-opening and enlightening.

The other day in Social Work (C/Y dev) we were talking about the effects of globalization. (spelled 'globalisation' here--- they also only use one parentheses instead of two!)  We got on to the topic of language and how many local African languages are being lost, as English becomes the universal language. Many of the local Xhosa speakers vocalized their opinions, saying that they felt that for them this wasn't an issue as they still could speak Xhosa and could utilize both when needed, but many were worried for their younger siblings and nieces and nephews who did not know the language at all. It was  interesting to here about globalization, something that affects everybody, from the perspective of these local students, and to realize the similarities and differences that exist. It's truly fascinating to be able to go to a school, with such a wide-range of diversity and such a great representation of African students as well as from other parts of the world. Although UofM constantly boastes its diversity, and in a way it does represent a wide-range of people, I get a sense of true diversity here at UCT, and am constantly learning about other cultures, as well as my own.

Culture in general, is something I've been contemplating a lot. All of my courses have been revolving around many of the same issues, one of them being the idea of culture and how it's defined. It's funny because this whole study abroad experience is built up on this idea of experiencing 'a new culture' one entirely different than our own. Yet, as were talking about in virtually all of my classes, a word such as culture can be so limiting. It is virtually impossible to classify an entire nation or even group of people into the same group based on a predefined set of criteria. Not everyone in the states has the same set of beliefs and values, etc, so why would we do that for South Africa. People here are so diverse, and South Africa has its own complicated history with countless stories and a million different values and beliefs that are unique to each individual. Yes, it has its culture, but it cannot be perceived through one giant definition, but should be viewed as process, an idea constantly subject to change and flexible to accommodate the diverse range of people within. By not viewing it as such, its easy to feed into preconceived stereotypes and see the world through an 'us vs. them' lens.  So yes, by being here I am being submerged in another culture and encountering new experiences everyday, but if this must be one collective culture that speaks for everybody, then let it be accurate in revealing just that, that there is not an entire group of identical people here who magically fit into the boundaries defined by their culture, but rather a diverse range of individuals who all share the same identity of being South African, each in their own way.

meow meow meow. to be continued.

P.S I'm in love with 7 Christow :)