Okay so it's been a good week since I've been able to update... since before safari! Man do I have so much to say. And sadly this is my last night in Kenya which makes this one of my last posts...
So safari was... AMAZING. Two words: punda. milia. (that's Swahili for zebra, of course!) Oh my gosh they were so beautiful! No words. We also seen a number of twiga (giraffe), tembo (elephant), and even some simba (you guys better know what that one means!) Along with a random assortment of wild animals that were equally exciting. However, zebra and giraffe were definitely my two favorites. My favorite moment: driving upon a mother and baby giraffe. The baby was literally a few hours old still learning to walk..and it just sat there staring. I swear we had a moment. It was beautiful. It was such a cool experience! And the place we stayed at was so beautiful. We were in tent like cabins and we could literally see and HEAR baboons and bush babies in the trees around us!
This is a python! No worries they're not poisonous!
We also got to hold the tortoises!
Corn rolls!
Saturday night our group went to Carnivore, a popular restaurant/night club in Nairobi famous for their game meat. Recently it has become illegal for them to sell meats such as zebra and giraffe due to poaching... however there was still a variety of "different" meats available to try. The restaurant style is that of a buffet in which they keep bringing you more and more types of meat until you surrender and put the Carnivore flag down. As many of you know I've been vegetarian for a few years now, so fortunately they had a vegetarian option! Nevertheless I was in Africa and when was I going to have the opportunity to eat meats like this again? So hey why not try it...? I ended up trying Alligator, Ostrich meat balls, and Ox balls! Can't say I'd try them again but hey NO REGRETS. All in all it was a lot of fun!
Trying Alligator with Catherine...
How they served the different types of meat...YUM!
The following day when our group went to The Great Rift Vally (a 2 hour drive!)..we stayed behind and went to the giraffe/elephant orphanage, as well as the walk-in Safari and the Massai Market! I got to kiss a giraffe which I must say was a pretty great kiss..in the words of Ixchel, "I kissed a gir-affe and I liked it!" It was really exciting! We also got to pet the baby elephants and watch them play football. The most exciting part was that Jacob, our driver, brought his three year old son and he hung out with us the whole day. He definitely made the day that much better! I couldn't think of a better way to spend our last two days than touring Nairobi with our own local brother! We had a blast, and now we get to spend our last day together as a group... can't believe our plane leaves in less than 12 hours. SURR. REAL.
Giraffe Kisses!
Baby Elephant at the orphanage playing soccer!
Matching face paint and Balloon hats!
Dancing with the Massai
Kenya has been like home to me! For as long as I've dreamed to go to Africa I have to say this trip has more than surpassed any expectations! I had the time of my life and fell in love with the culture, lifestyle, and especially the children of Kenya. Leaving wasn't easy but I look forward to the opportunity to come back and see the positive changes taking place in both Meru and Nairobi. I've learned so much and I've fell in love with Kenya, so there is not a chance that I wont do whatever it takes to come back one day soon. So this isn't goodbye.. it's see you later Africa... It's been real.
Much love, Natalie...or should I say Kwagiria (My Kimeru name meaning: one who makes others happy)














