-Dr. Karambu
I open my eyes
Beauty surrounds me.
Yet with it, comes reality.
The truth of the poverty strikes hard.
Little hands reaching out.
Yellow eyes staring
They can see right through me
I tower over their thin, malnourished bodies
But what can I do?
I smile.
They smile back.
The chorus of poverty sings on
We left our host families yesterday (so sad because I had got so close to our Mama Karimi, host brother Kevin and we finally got to meet our sister Doreen) and it was bittersweet as we have so much to look forward to, but goodbyes are never easy. I learned so much from my African mother and siblings and it's humbling to know I will always be welcome if I ever have the chance to come back to Meru. Saying goodbye to our neighboring street children was really hard, as well. The thing I looked forward to most everyday was walking down the street to our home and having them run into our arms and walk us to our doors. I had so much fun playing with them and seeing how much joy they have despite how little they have. I could tell by their lack of uniforms that they don't have the opportunity to go to school and it's so sad to know that there are not many opportunities available for them to escape their poverty. Again I want to keep them all! It's just really hard to see their physical state and home lifestyle and have a positive outlook. I would seriously give up my education if I knew that it could be guaranteed as an outlet for them. They have so much potential but what are the chances that people will see it shine...
We also went to Ripple's baby orphanage. No. Words.
Working at a daycare back home, I realize there are so many safety and sanitation regulations, that aren't even considered at care centers here. The main consideration is that the children have food and shelter, things that are simply a given for us. I had so many mixed emotions being there, as the children were so adorable and friendly. As soon as I walked in the room (a room of around 25 babies with their cribs stacked up around the walls.) I was happily overwhelmed as we walked in the room and the babies crowded us reaching up their hands to be held and hugged. My heart was honestly melting. I wanted to take them all home. I just want them all to have the best lives possible and I know it doesn't seem realistic…but I wish I could adopt them all!
Some of the babies in the orphanage
Brenda the little girl on the right was such a sweetheart, I couldn't put her down the whole time!
We had tons of fun painting the wall mural at the IPI orphanage with some of the children and Dr. K. It came out really well and they really enjoyed it! I enjoyed it too! I love spending time with them. Just seeing them smile makes me so happy.
For now we're staying at the Bio Intensive Farm. All of us girls are staying in one big house and the boys are usually there, too. We've had some good times and with Mo's facilitating we had some effective IGR and i definitely feel like I have a better understanding of our group dynamics! I'm really excited for this last week with the group although it's gonna be a hard goodbye. Thank goodness we all go to the same school. Our little African friends on the other hand...not so easy. One little man imparticular is Mark or Munene (the king!) He's the most adorable little boy ever and I will never forget his smile and laugh. He was part of our family at bio intensive and such a bundle of joy. I'm seriously gonna miss him so much!
WE GO ON SAFARI TOMORROW!!!!!!!








