Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Let me teach you how I take this for granted...

Jambo my American loves,


Today we went to BLISS (Bishop Lawri Inthiu Secondary School)and met some of the children and teachers at the high school we'll be working with. I'm. in. love! The students are seriously so well behaved! The whole time we were there the teachers were not even in the classrooms and the students were sitting silent in their seats!#thingsyoullneverseeinamerica

It was so amazing to talk to them and get to know them and they had so many questions for us, as well. Some of the questions asked:  "In your country, are girls who become pregnant seen as outcasts?"  "Who is better, Beyonce or Rihanna?"  "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Do you guys swim together?"(not sure what that one really means...)  Apparently they're not allowed to have them until they graduate high school but they still do... it was also said that having a boyfriend here is like having a fiancĂ© for us...you're expected to marry that person. Pretty Crazy! Some other hot topics: Obama, how we felt about the death of Osama, and abortion! 


The visit to the school definitely had a huge impact on me. I realized just how much we really take free education for granted. Out of the 380 students attending BLISS only 70 of them actually paid for their education and Moses (the amazing principle at the school) was forced to send them home until they could... When they came back they paid as much as they could ranging from $30 dollars to a banana. It's just so amazing to see how grateful and hungry to learn they are. I hate that I don't always take advantage of my education and make the most of it. I seriously feel so blessed!


 We also had a chance to visit some of the primary students as they were on their break. SO ADORABLE. They we're all bundled up with matching hats and sweaters, as 70 degrees is really cold for them. They were so friendly though and they had mad love for the cameras. I'm so much more excited about our camera project because both age groups are so fascinated by cameras and photos. It will be such a great opportunity for them!

 
We finished at the school pretty early, as we were just visiting today and not teaching...so we got and got sim cards for our matching Razrs so we can keep in touch with each other while we're here. I'm not in love with the idea of having a phone with texting/calling while I'm here just because I feel it takes away from the whole experience of being abroad.. I mean I already have internet access...even though it comes and goes and wont really be a constant thing...but still. It just doesn't seem right... But it was paid for, so I've got one for emergencies. But feel free to hit me up on my flashy Razr if you wanna chat: 0704912853...but not really though cause it'll probably cost you about half a millionish, and I hope you don't love me that much...


But anyway, we had a lot of free time on our hands today so we were free to lounge around the pool and explore Thiiri (THEY HAVE SWINGS!). We also hung out at Nakumatt (the local Walmart) to pick up some essentials and get our phones..


          

            

Highlight of the day: RUSHING TO THE VAN TO SEE ELEPHANTS IN THE STREET. MOSES THE PRINCIPAL OF THE SCHOOL JUMPED IN THE VAN WITH US AND PUSHED UP AGAINST THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER. MESS!


It's been an interesting day and it's not even dinner yet.


Tomorrow we go to Mt. Kenya!!!!


DAILY WHAT THE CHUCK:
Chuck's outfit of the day: (not as exciting as yesterday..but still it's Chuck):