So we've been in host families for the last couple of days without internet access so it's been difficult to stay in touch. So much has happened in these few days and my mind is spinning with all that I am learning!
Our host mom Judy is so amazing! She's does so much in the community! She used to be a teacher, she worked in an orphanage, and she also started a group in the community for widows (her husband passed on a few years back). As I was telling her about my life, she also told me how she was planning to start a support group for wives with alcoholic husbands who neglect their children, as that is a big problem here. Because her two children are away studying/working in Nairobi, she tries to keep busy so she isn't lonely. She hosts families a lot..so she is very good at it! I'm staying with Catherine and Laura and we are having a grand old time.
Our usual day consists of Swahili lessons at BLISS, teaching technology to BLISS graduates who couldn't afford University or have been unable to find jobs so they don't really have anything to do, and then we go on random excursions or do our after school projects with the students. We're usually back at our host families at 5, in which we walk around the neighborhood and meet locals (Fred<3) until it gets dark (super early) and we head home for dinner (always delicious!) We then watch Kenyan soap operas or dance shows SAKATA 2! Sleep and repeat.
The excursions are always interesting! Yesterday we visited a local orphanage called IPI (International Peace Initiative). The most empowering and inspiring woman named Dr. Karambu started it after seeing many children lose their parents to AIDS at such a young age. Her story is amazing! She went to school in America and paid her way by finding scholarships online on her free time. We started sketching a wall mural that we are going to paint with some of the children from the orphanage. I can't wait! It's gonna be really fun and they'll love it!
She has an amazing kind of social entrepreneurship! I guess I never realized how charity can many times be more of a handicap then an aid when people start to become dependent on it. It is so important to provide aid in which the people can sustain themselves. That is what is so amazing about Dr. K's orphanage. Out of the hundreds of orphanages she visited, she said nearly all of them depended on other charities to provide for them, but in hers they provide for themselves by growing the food they eat and making jewelry and hosting visitors to cover the finances. She says it's been difficult and they've have many setbacks, but hey that's life. She definitely opened my eyes on how to really approach issues and make a difference.
She has an amazing kind of social entrepreneurship! I guess I never realized how charity can many times be more of a handicap then an aid when people start to become dependent on it. It is so important to provide aid in which the people can sustain themselves. That is what is so amazing about Dr. K's orphanage. Out of the hundreds of orphanages she visited, she said nearly all of them depended on other charities to provide for them, but in hers they provide for themselves by growing the food they eat and making jewelry and hosting visitors to cover the finances. She says it's been difficult and they've have many setbacks, but hey that's life. She definitely opened my eyes on how to really approach issues and make a difference.
Something else I learned after talking to Dr. K is just how difficult it is to obtain a visa. Moses the principal of Bliss was denied 3 times before he was able to come to speak in the U.S., as well as Dr. K. They had to get a letter from a senator and even then they were really negative about it. I'm realizing how blessed i am to travel freely. I can go anywhere in the world, an opportunity so many people don't have! The U.S Embassy makes it virtually impossible to get a visa and get into the U.S from Africa, yet for us we just pay $25 and we're good to go. It just doesn't seem right. I truly feel so blessed!
Sunday we had the opportunity to go to Church with Judy and many of the other host families. It was a really interesting service. There was a lot of upbeat music with dancing and clapping! Christianity is big here, and the whole of the community is Christian with a few Muslims here and there. One of the girls in our group, Laura, is an orthodox Jew and follows a pretty strong .. in which she can only eat Kosher foods and She can't use any electronics or drive on Saturday before sundown. She taught a class on her beliefs at BLISS and all of the children were really into it…however when she got to the big ball drop…the fact that she doesn't believe Jesus Christ is her savior… they all were like WHAT!? They are taught other religions but I guess none of them are that different. That was a very difficult concept for them to grasp!
I have so much more to say but limited time and internet! I'm seriously ready to write a novel!
I'm learning so much about Kenyan culture…so much of it that breaks my heart. Here in Kenya, 50% of the population in under 18 mostly due to death from AIDS. Most of the children we interact with have lost at least one of their parents to AIDS. And the saddest thing is that Kenya is one of the most developed countries here receiving the majority of support and funding for AIDS. Walking around our host families neighborhood we met the nicest boy I've probably ever met. His name is Fred (he wouldn't tell us his Kimeru name saying "I like Fred better because i'm a friend to all!". He lost both of his parents to AIDS and he lives with his grandmother and three brothers and sisters. He is seriously so smart and sweet. I just want him to succeed so bad, but in reality such a small amount make it University!
Walking around the neighborhoods there's no telling what you'll see as one house can be really wealthy and right next to it will be a really poor family! You can see poverty so clearly just by the way the children are dressed and their physical appearance. Yellow eyes and red in the hair are both signs of malnourishment and we see it a lot...
(Pictures To Come!)
WE'RE GOING TO PLAY WITH THE KIDS AT THE PRIMARY SCHOOL NOW! SO EXCITED! SO EXCITED! SO EXCITED! PICTURES TO COME :) :)
Rosekindi is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet!
The kids loved Shakira! This is some of them singing and dancing :) They're all little bundles of joy and so much fun!


