Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First Day On A Brand New Planet

Okay Wow...So where do I start!?

My first whole day in Kenya.. in Africa... in PARADISE.

I have no words to suffice the countless beauties my eyes were subjected to today. It's seriously everything I dreamed it would be. It hasn't really hit that I'm truly here, I'm still at this place in between, where I can see everything as a reality around me, but it just doesn't seem real. A too good to be true situation I suppose.

We started off the day with 7am breakfast, however with lack of communication it was actually a last-minute 8am breakfast for me and my roommates, Sophie and Grace. Again, an amazing breakfast with passion fruit juice! You can never start a day wrong with that!

 After breakfast, we all gathered with our luggage at the main check-in office of our hotel, where we were serenaded with Christmas music, a true American soundtrack I suppose...it was definitely homey..."It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas... I mean it is winter here, so I can work with it. I would kill for 75/80 degree winters! It's so crazy to see all the local children here bundled up in jackets and hats when it's only 70 degrees. Of course for their bodies this is cold for them, but it's just crazy to see hour different our bodies react to these temperatures. I'm sure we truly couldn't "take the heat"!

We then began our 7 hour van ride into Meru. Talk about a bumpy ride. Not only were the roads rough, but their are really no rules to the road so the traffic was pretty wild. Weaving in and out, slamming on breaks... It was quite an adventure! My van members: Sophie, Johanna, Ixchel, Laura, and Jenna, and of course dressed in the most non-American fashions, the famous Chuck Ransom. It was quite a journey in which looking out my window never got old. Everything was so fascinating. All of the communities literally hang out on the side of the street. Looking out my window was like looking into a documentary of their lives. I learned so much in just those few seconds that passed. Their  daily duties, interactions, and even their expressions say so much about their lifestyle. I can't wait to learn more!
                                                Crazy Kenyan Mtatu driving...
                              
                                         Buildings and Street Vendors we passed.
                            
                                      Some local children.

We arrived at the Thiiri center (Thiiri=peace in Swahili) around 6pm (Michigan being around 7 hours ahead of time it would be about 11am there. I'm actually surprised how well my body took to the time change, but I guess sleeping on the plane as well as sleeping through the night at the hotel will do it. It's gorgeous here though, and all of the staff are so friendly. I can't wait to get to know them better! Our rooms are nice as well. Although we were told the showers tend to shock you so don't touch them! I'll definitely remember that!

Where we are staying!
African Huts!

Right now I'm sitting outside  on the patio, Frank Sinatra a soundtrack in the background. Beka's apparently a big fan. I love learning more about my group members. People are so unpredictable and I love it!

Tomorrow begins at 7am with breakfast and our first trip to Bliss the school we'll be working with. I can't wait!

Daily What the Chuck!?

Chuck's outfit of the day: red and blue Clowns Jersey with matching hat and Indiana Socks. 

Playlist for the van ride:
Bumpy Ride- Mohombi (SUPER BUMPY RIDE) 
Kids/Rill Rill- Sleigh Bells
Helena Beat/Don't Stop (Color On the Walls)- Foster the People
Up Up Up- Givers
Matisyahu- Smash Lies/We Will Walk
Arcade Fire- The Culture War
Eternal Summers- Childs Mind
The Mountain Goats- Never Quite Free
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals- Apologies
The Feeling- Set My World On Fire
Dead Man's Bones- Pa Pa Power
The Films- Breezeblocks