Monday, December 23, 2013

poverty

Children begging for money is a sight that always breaks my heart. And it's very real on the streets of Kathmandu.
This of course is a reality I’ve faced many times, especially during my time in Africa. Poverty is real. I accept this. The most difficult for me is knowing these children wont have a childhood.

Walking down the streets of Kathmandu it's very common to see children sniffing glue, sitting on the side of the road, begging for money. Many times children who aren't poor (well those who are better off) automatically see a Westerner and adopt this sad look on their face and begin to ask for money, candy, pens. 

And you know that some of them really truly need it!

So of course you want to give them something. Hell, I want to give them everything! But is it really helpful to support the system, to reinforce this idea that foreigners come in the their country and are there to give money. 

I’ve learned to just play with them. Children need to play. So what do I do when a mother and her child walk up to me with the saddest of eyes and say, please ma’am I need some money for milk. Please, please!

          I chase. I tickle. I squeeze.

             They smile.
Yes they are poor and they could most definitely use some money. But would me giving them a few dollars truly change their situation? I can at least allow them to play for a few minutes. To have a childhood. That for me is enough.