Monday, June 11, 2012


What a crazy weekend! On Friday night, we got a new volunteer who is staying in our home. Her name is Gabby and she is super cool. She is originally from New York and went to university of Colorado her first year and then transferred to Cornell. She misses Boulder a lot.. I would too!

Today our plans fell through, so I went with her to meet the rest of her group at the Global Service Corps office. Most of them seem pretty cool. Some people though… I just can't understand why you come to Africa if you're just going to complain about everything!? Gabby's great though after walking around a while we went to the wine and cheese place that’s by us... It was so good and quite an adventure! We spent more money than expected. We didn't have enough and the ATMs were closed and we couldn't get any, so she literally had to run back to our homestay just as it  was getting dark, which is supposedly very dangerous. When she got there to bring the money back, her program advisor was there, too. Her and our mama both were like “No Gabby, you can’t go back, too dangerous”. Luckily, they eventually let her go, so I wasn’t stranded, and we got the driver to drive us back safely.  Unfortunately, right when we got back it was dinner time, and we were still so full! It’s always polite to eat all of the food, and in Africa they love to give you more and more. It was so hard! We felt so sick afterward and we literally laid on our beds for hours unable to move. We talked for forever about music festivals, our family lives, travels, etc. We have so much in common and I’m super glad she’s staying with us!


The next day we had plans to go visit the waterfalls and the lake, but Chris’ car broke down and he never made it. One important thing I’ve learned, is to never give your hopes up or expect anything, because in Africa plans never really work out and time is not really a shared concept. You just got to go with the flow. Hakuna matata.

We ended up going to Shopright to get some wine instead, as you can get a decemt bottle for like 7,000 shillings (only like $4:50!) After we went to go watch some of the local kids play football (soccer) by us. We ended up getting lost on the way back, and literally walked everywhere until we finally found a guy who ended up being a taxi driver and he took us to where we needed to be, literally right before it got dark.

It’s known to be super dangerous, as it is in any city I guess, especially after dark. It’s even worse here, because we attract so much attention, I’ve literally never had so many eyes on me at once, we’re literally circus attractions. Even though it can be quite dangerous, I’m am always amazed by the kindness and friendliness of the local people. They are always so helpful and the children are always so full of smiles and questions. Even though some may have bad intentions, many of them have great hearts and I love having the chance to get to know them.

Gabby and I made it back just in time for dinner, though. So far all of our outings have been crazy adventures! I’m just so glad we made it back safe!

Tomorrow starts another week at the orphanage. The teacher is for sure supposed to come, so I’m hoping she actually shows, so I can have a good idea of where the kids are at and maybe a lesson plan to go off of.


Tutuonana kesho.