Friday, June 29, 2012

Okay so another week later... My last week at Faraja! I cant believe already a whole month has gone by! Things have been quite crazy but in a good way!

Basically my days have been spent at Faraja teaching, with Indiana and the new volunteer Alice from Switzerland. She's great and it's been a lot of fun! Then in the afternoon we just head out and about to different excursions. We've been working through a list that includes Chris' Massai village and market, Coffee plantation tours, local clubs with Bongo Flavor music (a popular local type of music), Cradle of Love a baby orphanage, etc etc.



Teaching has been going really well. I am continuously pleased with their progress, as both their English and Swahili has come such a long way! I'm just so worried about their future, as I know the teacher that taught them before we came had not been paid for six months and quit, so unless other volunteers come, they will be without a teacher, and all of their progress will be lost!

It can be very discouraging sometimes, as you want to feel like your time here is making a difference, and sometimes it's hard to see that with all of the poverty and setbacks and things that you know you just cannot change. I just try to look at it through a smaller lens, and think that even if I make a difference to one person, one child, just change something for the better, anything. That will be enough. So that's what I'm trying to do.

         Halper (our youngest student- In love with this child!)  


                                                     Me and Halper

                                                          Baby Victor :)

                                                      Alice helping some of the kids

Even though I initially opted out of the safari trip as I've been more than a few times and wanted to save my money. I ended going with Dom to join the group for a one day safari at lake Manyara! It was a lot of fun. Honestly, I get more excited about standing up in the van with my head out of the roof and the wind in my hair and seeing all of the trees then I do about seeing the animals most times. Although they're both equally amazing. I have a serious infatuation with the trees here... as well as Pundamilia (Zebra) as you already know! I got to see both, so it was perfect!

The way back was rough though, as we had to took a Dala Dala for about two hours distance to save money, and I really didn't think I'd survive. Unfortunately I picked up an Amoeba or something and was quite sick for a few days, so the ride back was really rough on my already upset stomach! I survived though, and am feeling much better!

                                                                PUNDAMILIA!!

I'm super excited for the weekend, as were taking the a bunch of the kids to a nearby hotel to swim in the pool, something most of them have never experienced. I think they'll really enjoy it. We're also heading to the cinema complex nearby to celebrate my last few days at Faraja. It's very sad, but it's bittersweet as on Monday I'm going to Nairobi to visit my host brother and school/orphanage I worked with last year, and then after that I'm headed to Zanzibar with Alice and we're meeting up with Emma and Frida. And then of course after, I head to South Africa! So much excitement!!!



Some random facts:


I brought Baby Mama, as it's my favorite movie, and we have watched it at least six times here already, as it gets dark pretty early and there's not much we can do then. So we just get some wine and watch it. It never gets old! :)

A monkey jumped on my head literally right out side the volunteer house gate as I was walking to Faraja. It stole my headband and scared me to death! Luckily it didn't attack or bite! No hospital trips yet. Fingers crossed.

I have a love affair with the food here. Like honestly, I think I could live on the fruit alone! Between Eggplant, Pilau, Chapati, Passionfruit, Mangoes, and Avocado, I've been in full glory!

                   Rice with eggplant, mangoes, and the best oranges I've ever tasted (who knew they were actually supposed to be green!)

                       Ugali, beans, and avocado!

 Until Later!

Baadaye!

Natalia<3