Monday, June 11, 2012

Today we went to the orphanage to meet the director and local teacher and learn the basics of what we will be doing and how are daily routine should be. We had the opportunity to meet some of the children and I’m really excited! We only stayed for about an hour and then we went for lunch with Dominic and Joleen. Joleen is a local Massai who is 26. She teaches us Swahili as well as shows us around Arusha so we know how to get around. 

We ate lunch at small bar by the orphanage. I had fries mayai which is basically an omelette style egg filled with French fries. It’s a local delicacy and it’s delicious! After we went to visit Dominic’s place and walked around Arusha a bit. I’ve already discovered my two favorite places, and they’re only about a block from my host home. The first is a diner called Wine & Cheese Heaven and the second is a delicious and homey coffee shop with free wifi! I have come to love Arusha and am very excited for the weeks to come!