Today is the 12th anniversary of September 11th.
War in Syria rages on. And here I sit in a park in Majadahonda. There is a young
women crying on the bench across the square. I can’t help but wonder the
source of her tears.
An image comes to my head from my time in Tanzania. A mother mourning the death
of her son. It was a cry I’d never heard before. So much pain, a loss there are no words for. Yet right after,
she picked back up as if nothing had happened, each day as normal as the one before.
I couldn't understand this type of mourning. How could she be so unbelievable devastated, and then stand up and continue on as if nothing had happened.
I suppose we all mourn differently. Today my heart goes out to every life that was touched by 9/11, whether they reside in New York, the U.S., Spain, or somewhere else in the world. My heart also goes out to all the families and children in Syria who are suffering every day. Today, in this moment, I am sending the warmest wishes and condolences to every individual who has mourned the loss of a loved one, experienced the hatred and cruelty of another human being, or who has been left on a bench to cry.
Yes, we're different. but we're also all human. And through that, we are all completely the same.