Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dublin!


It’s amazing that after three years, you can talk to someone like you just seen them yesterday! In Dublin I reunited with Caoimhe, Maggie, and Jessie (for a short drunk bit). I volunteered with them in 2010 for five weeks The Dominican Republic where we had the absolute time of our lives.

 I spent four days in Dublin and stayed at Maggie’s. Which to me seemed like the typical “Irish home”. Her house is in Monkstown, and just as it sounds it was historically home  Buddhist monks. Part of Maggies house, still has a tower from one of the destructed monasteries. It really was quite beautiful.

Another reason I love staying with families.. dogs! Maggie had a wonderful black lab named Fudge and I loved to walk around with him and just snuggle.

My first day in Dublin we walked around downtown and saw the majority of the tourist sights. We went to Trinity college, St. Stevens Green, O'Connell Street, Grafton Street, Temple bar, Dublin Castle, Butler’s chocolate café (free complimentary chocolate!), The Porterhouse, etc, etc.


And of course by night, we did a proper pub/bar crawl, as if anyone can drink, it’s supposedly the Irish ;) Maggie took me to all of her favorite places, a bar with no name (only a snail), The Globe (such good music!) and then Capital, where we met up with Jessie!

To be honest, the whole of my experience in Dublin was spent in various sea side towns sitting in a unique array of pubs and cafes hearing and telling stories and reminiscing on past adventures.
Caoimhe had a car, so we did two day trips. One day we went the lovely sea side Howthe, where we had ice cream and enjoyed the sea. The following day, we went to Greystones, outside of Dublin in Wicklow county, where we visited Maggie’s grandparents, who were absolutely adorable and insisted we stay for tea. We then went to the Beach House for lunch and drinks and then Mrs. Robinsons, where I properly watched rugby and drank a Guinness. The bar had such a cool design and it was so cozy, look!
 Again, we spent a lot of our time sipping coffee or nursing a Bulmer’s and just chatting it up. A lot can change in three years, but it’s amazing how much is exactly the same.

I had such an amazing time. It was good to see old friends.