Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tigers!

So being the animal lover that I am, and being in Southeast Asia, I of course jumped at the chance of seeing some tigers. (they just don't have them in Africa!)

I went to the Tiger Temple in Bangkok which is actually a Buddhist temple that was turned into a "sanctuary" for wild animals. The monks are the primary caretakers for the tigers and feed and walk them daily.

 I must admit though, there was quite a big difference from what I read about and what I saw. It did not seem like a "sanctuary" to me but rather a huge tourist attraction. When I arrived most of the tigers were chained up and some of them even seem drugged. It appeared to be such a tourist trap as people were literally lined up and walked one by one to take photos with the tigers. I proceeded with the pictures as it was included in my entrance fee, but I was definitely saddened by what I saw.  

Once I arrived in Chiang Mai, I heard about Tiger Kingdom, and a friend  I met told me it was much better. Fortunately, IT WAS. All of tigers were clearly conscious and seemed very playful and aware. They didn't seem drugged at all and they had a lot more space and no chains. Really,  I just felt better upon walking in.

I suppose getting up close and personal with tigers will always be a tourist attraction, as is the case with elephants, I just hope they maintain ethical conditions. 

Tiger Temple in Bangkok



This guy didn't seem so bad
Tiger Kingdom in Chiang Mai