Some things one must do in Thailand
Eating the street food: Not only is it absolutely delicious. But it's incredibly cheap. Like really cheap. You can get an amazing dish of Pad Thai for less than a dollar. And that's if you're playing it safe. There is an amazing range of food markets, so be brave and try something new and bizarre. Just maybe not the fried maggots or scorpions, that I can understand.
Tapas anyone? This is the nice treat a street vendor offered us
while we were having drinks at the bar.
|
Riding a tuk-tuk: This is always an adventure and is also very cheap. If I'm not taking the sky train, I always take a tuk-tuk. I've had mostly positive experiences. Just expect to be quoted an unreasonable price as if you appear to be a tourist- they will take advantage of this. If you need to get somewhere rather fast or you have a bit of luggage, taxis are also fairly cheap. (They're also pink and orange- which for me is the most exciting thing!) Just be sure to get one with a meter. . AND WHATEVER YOU DO- DON'T TAKE A MOTORBIKE. You will see these all over the place no matter where you are in Thailand, many times with a baby or two hanging of the side. I've been told that around 14 people die on these a day in Bangkok, although I think that number's pretty steep, I'm pretty confident it happens frequently and it's definitely not worth the sense of adventure! (If you must- rent one in Pai! There is far less traffic and the scenery is beautiful!)
relaxing on a tuk tuk
|
PINK TAXIS!
|
JUST. NO.
|
SHOPPING: I will say this again. Thailand is so so so cheap! Be sure to do some shopping and be ready to do some bargaining! The street markets are a must, especially the massive one (JJ Market) at Mo Chit, the last stop on the sky train. Another must in the shopping itinerary: MBK, the most massive shopping mall I've ever been in, with anything you could ever imagine at a very affordable price.
Getting a Thai Massage! JUST DO IT. For one tenth of the price of one in the states, they are not afraid to touch you and dig in deep. If you want a real massage, this is the place to do it. Just beware it may be a bit painful. Lawsuits aren't really a thing here, they go, and they go hard.
Having surgery! Again it's really really cheap and amazing service. Medical tourism is huge here in Thailand. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out... I will dedicate a post to the insanity of this later on...
Buying beer at 7-11 It's incredibly cheap and much cheaper than the bars of Khao San - which are already fairly cheap. I am still completely dumbfounded by the amount of 7-11's that exist here, for something that started in the States, I would swear it started here. There is literally one every where you look. And they don't even have slurpees!
Going to a floating market. Because it's just incredible. And who doesn't want to float along and purchase a beer or a coconut without having to leave the comfort of one's own boat! (Disclaimer: These can also potentially be a tourist trap, so try to find one that's not super crowded, and again be ready to bargain!)
Some things NOT to do:
- Again, don't ride the motorbikes in Bangkok!!
-Dont ride an elephant. I know, who comes to Thailand and doesn't ride an elephant? It's the most incredible opportunity. They are such amazing creatures. But really, it's not worth it. The elephants used for such tourism are seriously maltreated and many suffer and live in terrible conditions. If you really love elephants and want to get close while not contributing to such cruelty, but helping out an amazing cause, go to Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai. I will dedicate a post to this amazing place. But for more information on the conditions of the elephants used for tourist trekking and elephant rides Watch this. Just beware, it's a bit graphic.
-Don't be afraid to try new things! That's one of the most exciting things about traveling, and there are many opportunities here to do it!
In conclusion, go to Thailand. Spend time in Bangkok, but spend more time in Chiang Mai and parts of the North. Unless you love the city, than perhaps you'll want to stay in Bangkok the whole time. There's also loads of amazing beaches, too. So really you could avoid the city altogether and just remain in paradise the whole time. But honestly, I think that would be far less fun. That's just me..
You should know though in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai I had wonderful accomodation. I stayed at the most amazing backpackers in Bangkok: Saphai Pae Backpackers. And an even better one in Chiang Mai: Julie Guesthouse. If you're traveling to these places and are not sure where to stay, I definitely recommend these. You'll meet incredible people and eat incredible food. Also definitely consider couchsurfing. It's a free place to stay and you'll also meet lovely people who can show you around their home. It's a win, win, win. ;)
Over and out. and wandering about.
Nat

