Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Zurich!

I spent yesterday in Zurich, which is twice the size of Bern, but pretty similar. It's also one of the most expensive cities in Europe, with the most famously expensive shopping street in the world. (yeah, I didn't shop there). Despite it's priciness, it really is a city worth visiting, just be prepared to pay $3 for tap water, if you don't have a bottle.

I went with Alice and her sister to one of the coolest restaurants I've ever been to. It's called Blindekuh, (blind cow) and it's the world's first restaurant in which you eat completely in the dark. It started here in Zurich in 1992, and it's wonderful because it provides job opportunities to those who are blind and partially-sighted. All of the waiters and waitresses are blind, and guide you to your table where you eat in complete darkness. And I mean COMPLETE darkness, this is no exaggeration! I don't think I ever experienced such darkness, and I spilled my water and dropped my food countless times. It was a really cool experience, and they also have this special surprise menu in which they surprise you with each plate and you can't see what you're eating. All in all it was really fun!
Blindekuh

In other news: I had to go to the dentist today here in Switzerland, which for me is the most terrifying experience no matter where I am. I rather bungee jump twenty-seven times and swim with sharks while wrapped in snakes. However, I had no choice as the pain was becoming unbearable. They told me my tooth was infected and it is spreading to my jaw.. they also informed me that to have it fixed it would cost 4500 CHF (almost $5000)! Luckily I do have travel insurance that would cover such insanity, but I would still be expected to pay the money up front... as paying that much was impossible, it didn't happen. The dentist was really kind though and she prescribed me antibiotics and strong pain medicine, until I can make it to Thailand in two weeks and get the procedure done. Thailand has an international dentist center with dentists trained in the States who are experts, it's also cost much less than the States and Switzerland, so this is my plan. I'll keep you updated! But as for now, no more Swiss chocolate for me..

I leave for Stockholm tomorrow... ahh!